July 23, 2012

Borrow Light

Lately it seems I have been craving a good novel that I could just sit and enjoy without thinking too much...especially since I do most of my reading the middle of the night and that is not the best time for deep thinking.  This was just a book I was looking for.  It is an easy read, the story isn't too complex, the characters are lovable, and it is clean.

And really who doesn't love a good cowboy romance?

Julia is a 27 year old Fannie Farmer Cooking School graduate engaged and living in Salt Lake City in the early 1900s.  Hate to say it be her fiance seems pretty lame.  Apparently Julia (I love that name) thought so too.  She broke off the engagement and took a job in the wild west as a cook for a rancher.  And from there the story unfolds so nicely.

I am have found that I am not a HUGE fan of LDS fiction...I am sure it is because I haven't found the right authors yet but so often I feel like some of the stories become very preachy and the Gospel undertones over take the story and characters.  That is not the case here.  The Gospel is woven throughout the lives of the characters in such a believable and sweet way.  I enjoyed seeing the development of Testimonies from different characters without it feeling like the author had was hoping to use the novel as a teaching manual.  The love story was pretty great too. 
It is just a sweet story that I really enjoyed reading...so much so that I read the 2nd book.

So there you have it...if you are looking for a nice summer read that than look no further I have found the book for you.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment