June 12, 2012

Killing Lincoln

What a great book!  It is a true story (obviously) about the assassination of President Lincoln, but at times I felt like it was a novel.  It kind of goes back and forth between novel like and strait up facts (text book).  But even the text book kind of writing was intriguing.

It was so interesting and so good to read that I honestly carried it with my all over the house (minus the bathroom...it was a borrowed book) so that if I had a minute I could stop doing what I was supposed to be doing to read a chapter (which were awesomely short!!).

There was a lot about Lincoln's assassination that I didn't know, for example I don't remember ever learning (although I bet I did) that it was a group thing...that there was a handful of men all with different leaders to kill and that it was probably MUCH bigger than that even...perhaps a conspiracy *gasp*.  I also didn't know that Lincoln felt his time was coming to a close; or what happened to Booth after words.  I knew he was apprehended but not how.  It was a lot of fun to read especially since I had been to many of the places mentioned in the book.  Another positive point is that I felt so smart after reading it...usually when I read non-fiction I really skip around but I read ever page.  It was that good! 

READ IT.  Learn something this summer!

1 comment:

  1. I think I've heard of this one before, and after reading your review, I think I'm going to have to give it a try...when I'm in the mood for some nonfiction!

    ReplyDelete