July 19, 2011

Dream When You're Feeling Blue

What a beautiful story. I had read one of Elizabeth's books a while back (one I was too shocked to share...not good at all.) But a friend said she was amazing so I figured I had just gotten a lemon the first time around.

This is for sure a love story. Be ready for that. But the kind of love story might surprise you.

This book follows three sisters during the end of WWII. Louise had sent off her fiance, Kitty her boyfriend and Tish sent off whatever boy she met at the dance that weekend. They correspond with their men and try to be something uplifting to them. Over time their relationships change with the boys they love and their relationship with each other grows deeper. I also love stories with wonderful dads-and the father of the girls in this novel is a great dad with wonderful words of advice. It is a wonderful story about falling in love and taking care of family and complete sacrifice.

I really don't want to share too much, it is a story worth reading...even though there is this one page. It isn't dirty (I mean was anything dirty about that era?) but it isn't necessary for the story and I don't know why she put it in. The three sisters are talking about the wedding night in a very innocent way by using terms like "wang wang doodle." But just in case skip page 61.

I am glad that I read this story...I don't know much about this time in life, and it was nice to read from the perspective of the women who stayed home and what they dealt with. What a time of great music, great manners, beautiful clothes, and classy men and women. If I was in a crying mood I probably would have cried at the end.

Favorite Quote: "But Kitty, over there is where those boys want and need to be. If it doesn't start out that way, it ends up being that way. Men in combat love one another, and although they hate war, they love it, too. I experienced it myself. A soldier needs to believe with all his heart in his commander and his mission, and he needs for us to believe in him. How do we show him that we do? Not by mourning the fact that he's there but by celebrating the life we are privileged to lead on account of his sacrifice."

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment