March 12, 2011

Forever

Wikipedia says: Forever... is a 1975 novel by Judy Blume dealing with teenage sexuality. Because of the novel's content it has been the frequent target of censors and appears on the American Library Association list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000 at number seven.

NUMBER 7 out of 100!!! I would believe it. This story was extremely over the top descriptive. Too much. It is about a high school senior girl that meets and quickly falls in love with another senior boy. Their relationship takes leaps and bounds and they believe that their love is meant to last through the ages. In the end...the to committed teens found summer jobs in separate states with separate people surrounding them. You can guess the next part.

I think the actual story itself is fine. Blume shows that you can truly feel love for another person but that doesn't mean it is going to last forever. Especially at such a young age. The BIG problem I had with this book was all the sex. I mean seriously, there was a lot...way too much for a book about high schoolers. I must be naive (still) about what goes on at that age. I felt like she made it seem okay, and necessary almost. I was also bothered by the main character's parents. They gave her way too much freedom, making it seem almost as though they didn't care what she did in her personal life. Which is what is wrong with society today more than ever. Parent give way too much freedom and then wonder why kids do what they do.

Favorite Quote: "She introduced herself to Michael, then tapped me on the head and said, "this idiot is my friend, Kathrine. Don't mind her...she's a little strange." "I noticed," Michael said. He wore glasses, had a lot of reddish-blond hair and a small mole on his left cheek. For some crazy reason I thought about touching it."

Grade: F (for sexual content)

No comments:

Post a Comment