March 21, 2011

Northanger Abbey

Cathrine is a 17 year old girl on vacation with her aunt and uncle in Bath. Her Aunt aunt is another one of my favorite characters-she says so many great things in this book, and when I say great I really mean I laughed out loud. Cathrine is able to meet and few different people and becomes friends with 2 different girls. Through both of these friends she realized the reality of true friendship and the joy of older brothers. I guess she also begins to understand the quality of a man as well. One of her new friends invites her home for a visit and they just happen to live in an Abbey. Cool? YES. Cathrine is very well read on non-fiction and believes Abbeys to hold alot of mystery and awesome chances for goosebumps.

This was a delightful story from beginning to end. Sometimes it takes me a while to fall-in-love with a Jane Austen book. But Northanger Abbey had me at, "No one who had ever seen Cathrine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine."

Favorite Quote: "At any rate, however I am pleased that you have learnt to love a hyacinth. The mere habit of learning to love is the thing; and a teachabelness of disposition in a young lady is a great blessing." and "A mother would have been always present. Another would have been a constant friend; her influence would have been beyond all other" and " 'Cathrine would make a sad heedless young house-keeper to be sure,' was her mother's foreboding remark; but quick was the consolation of there being nothing like practice."

Grade: A+

1 comment: