March 12, 2011

Emma

I have been wanting to read all of Jane Austen's books. I read and fell in love with Pride and Prejudice and I was so excited when the book group I am part of decided to read Emma. But let me tell you...the first half was hard for me to get through.

Emma is the youngest daughter to a very old man. She is determined not to marry to avoid ever leaving her aged father. So instead of searching for her own love story she tries to create matches with those around her. As it turns out she isn't very good at it. In the process a certain young gentlemen catches her eye and keeps it.

I found Emma to be a little obnoxious at first. After a while a started to find the humor in her ways. I also loved Mrs. Elton. Honestly, the story improved a great deal when she joined in! Such a great character.

Favorite Quote:" I cannot make speeches, Emma:"--he soon resumed; and in a tone of such sincere, decided, intelligible tenderness as was tolerably convincing.--"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more. But you know what I am.--You hear nothing but truth from me.--I have blamed you, and lectured you, and you have borne it as no other woman in England would have borne it"

Grade: A-

1 comment:

  1. It took me years to read Emma. YEARS! I could not get into it at all. She is just so descriptive in the beginning, about rooms and decorations, and things I couldn't and didn't care to wrap my head around. I really like the story, and the book, now, though it isn't one I read often.

    ReplyDelete