February 25, 2011

Flash Back Friday

I think I will take a moment to flash back (thus the title) to one of the books I read a while ago. Maybe I will make this a weekly thing.

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman July 14, 2009

I was excited to read this book, we hear about Walt Whitman in history, movies, and books after a while I became a little curious. After starting the other awful book (Age of Fable) I quickly started this one, boy was I glad. Although most of his poetry was hard to understand I quickly realized that this a book of poetry about the great United States of America and the even greater people that live there. Every once in a while I understood and felt what he was saying and it was touching. I enjoyed this book for 2 reasons:

1-I felt so smart as I read it. The more I read the more I think I began to understand what he was writing about.

2-Walt Whitman's poetry and the way he used the written word is beautiful (at least those things I understood). I will share a few of those.

"Other states indicate themselves in their deputies....but the genius of the United States is not best of most in its executives or legislatures, nor in its ambassadors or authors or colleges or churches or parlors, nor even in its newspapers or inventors...but always most in the common people."

"Will you seek afar off? You surely will com back at at last,
In the things best known to you finding the best or as good as the best,
In folks nearest you finding also the sweetest and strongest and lovingest,
Happiness not in the another place, but this place..not for another hour but this hour,..."

"Come I should like to hear you tell me what there is in yourself that is not just as wonderful,
And I should like to hear the name of anything between Sunday morning and Saturday night that is not just as wonderful."

No comments:

Post a Comment