September 16, 2011

The Waterfall Concept



I finished this book earlier this month and I was just as excited to finish it as I was to read it! First off...note the author's last name is Stark. Yep, that is my uncle. How cool is that? It is a heavy topic so it took me a while to get through it all. But I can honestly say I am glad I read it, I didn't know anything on the topic of addiction or recovery; this book was a real eye opener for me.

It is 4 chapters long...I know can you believe it only FOUR it drove me nuts to have so few chapters (I like my chapters short remember). Thankfully within each chapter are short sections...phew. I always had a good stopping place. The first chapter was mostly about addiction...which was important to read since it was all new information for me. Then I felt like the rest of the book focused more on recovery, which I also learned is hard, long and never really over. I learned that there are many faces to addiction, many underlining issues, and no simple case.

Before you quit reading this review because you aren't a drug, sex, or alcohol addict let me say this about the book. It is a mix between a informational book on the topic and a church book on change, the Atonement, and moving forward. I found myself thinking at not times not about the addicts the author was talking about, but instead about the things I am addicted to in my life (facebook, The Bachelor, sweet treats, avoiding dishes, blogs) and how I can use the Waterfall Concept to make changes in my life for the better.

On the back of this book it was recommended that parents and church leaders should also read this in addition to those in addiction recovery read this book. At first I will say I was doubtful of that need-after only a few pages I realized the truthfulness of that statement. I would bet that most parents are extremely unaware of the reality of this issue and how close it is to our children. And as youth leaders, bishops and others in leadership rolls knowing the information in this book would be priceless. Knowing how to approach someone entering addiction and those in recovery would be helpful not only to those in leadership positions but also to the addict in recovery.

Now. You might be thinking "well, duh, Angela is going to give this book a screaming review it is by her uncle in law ." I will say I was worried about that when I started reading the book...what if I didn't like it? or couldn't finish it? or (gasp) didn't want to? It did take a while...like most non-fiction books do for me. But like I said before, it was a lot new information for me that I am glad I have now, and it also taught me through the Spirit. What more could I want in a non-fiction book?

Favorite Quote: (it was hard to choose just one) "In our addiction, we find ourselves very low in the stack [spiritually speaking], perhaps very near the bottom. The same rules apply while we struggle in additions; we must move up, line upon line, no matter how low our starting point is. Our goal is always the next line, to keep progressing along the right path. Don't worry about time or history; they don't matter. All that really matters--all that He really wants--is for us to move towards Him on this right path."

Grade: B (especially if you are a parent or church leader or teacher)

No comments:

Post a Comment