August 27, 2011

the summer of firsts and lasts



This is a story that follows three sisters (all named after flowers) at summer camp. Seeing as how they are all a few years apart they are at different stages of camp life. One sister is in the 2nd year, another sister in her last year and the 3rd sister is a staff member. They are all struggling with different parts of camp this year from bullies, to boys, to making new friends. Each sister takes a turn narrating her part of the story, which is kind of fun to see some of the same even from different points of view.


I didn't care for this book at all.


Well, that might be harsh, I did enjoy the sisterly love that went on...made me want to call my sister. And the story line showed promise, but in the end I was turned off by it. I did learn a few things from reading this book:

1-boys and girls should never go to camp together with out parental supervision (DUH). it is like you are asking for kids to be stupid and make poor choices.


2- Parents shouldn't send their kids away to camps that are longer than a week. I mean really that is far too long. Unless you are a bunch of stinky boys up in the mountains with nothing else to do but tie knots and build fires while wearing matching outfits that are a weird shade of green or brown (I can never tell).


3- I am so glad that my kids will go to girls camp or scout camp or EFY...none of this summer camp business for weeks on end.



So yeah, the cover of this books is awesome and under the awesome cover is a yellow book! YELLOW. But that is it. I can't even find a favorite quote.

Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment