October 8, 2012

War Brides

What a delightful story!  Unlike most books that I have read from this era (WWII).  But this is the first one that takes place from the perspectives of the ladies left behind.  It has now been a month or two since I last read it so chances are I have forgotten some of the details  but here is the basic run down.
 
A handful of girls all find themselves in the same small English town waiting the war out as best they can.  Not planning on falling in love, but finding themselves madly deeply neck deep in some cases.  Some carry with them secrets of murder, affairs, involvement in the war and smuggling children out of a Nazi camp. 
 
This story is FULL of love, murder, mystery, and even a spy or two.  It took me a few chapters to figure out who was who...I mean really there were just too many characters...but there isn't a single one I would want to cut out.  By the end I cared about each of them.  It was interesting to read about WWII from the wives and girls left behind.  Very well written.  There were parts of the book I could have done without.  At times they would take breaks from the girls and see what their families where doing in Nazi camps and that was awful to read.  I don't enjoy that kind of reading...to real and heartbreaking.  I could have done without those chapters.  Otherwise it was nice.
 
It was a free book on the kindle and well worth the money and time I put into it.  

1 comment: